Women, need to shift to see our career with
an entrepreneurial mindset
From The Quantum Thinking, Women's Leadership Center
Having more women in senior management roles in corporations, and bringing our authentic leadership, with our feminine attributes, will benefit the company and all the stakeholders. It will create more balanced decisions for the direction of the company so that we together with men are creating our future.
In order to have more women in the leadership roles, we need to address two areas that come from both, women, as an individual and the corporations.
1- We, Women, need to shift to see our career with an entrepreneurial mindset
The benefit of consciously leading our life from this mindset is that we are ALL IN, committed to our success and fulfilment, in our careers and our lives. Four aspects need to be addressed:
- Clear vision and goals that integrate our careers with our personal life: Without a destination, every road will take us to nowhere! It is important to take the time to look what’s the ultimate vision of our career, and how it integrates with our personal life so that we can create a clear roadmap and a plan of actions, with resources of how to get there. Shattering the limiting belief that “women can’t have it all.”
- Authenticity: First, leading from our authentic feminine attributes, we don’t have to embody the male leadership stereotypes, if that is not who we are. Second, getting to know who we truly are, our values, beliefs, motivators, what we stand for, as it will give us unshakable confidence.
- Getting out of our own way: Sometimes, we are our biggest obstacle to overcome, it happens unconsciously! We create excuses, we have biases, we give space to things/people that we don’t have yet, we are our own worst critic, we don’t negotiate, we don’t ask for the project, promotion or raise (as we don’t feel that “we have what it takes” or we are not “110% ready”)
XXXOften we are afraid of taking a risk or getting out of our comfort zone, because of fear of not being xxxxenough or not being right.
- Health and wellbeing: Being physically healthy and having healthy choices will support us to achieve our true potential and to respond effectively to the demands of our work and life.
2- Corporations: culture and support from senior leaders
It is not enough to only say that companies want to have more women in leadership, without providing them with the tools that will support them to get there, for example:
- Encouraging and educating male employees to take more responsibility for the household support, and take the parental leave.
- Addressing the unconscious bias of the stereotypes of an effective leader, bringing awareness that, in general, women have a different leadership style.
- Helping women to “get out of their own way.”
- Child benefits for kindergarten or babysitter.
In conclusion, it is an integrated effort from corporations and women as individuals, to take the step, raise their consciousness and start doing things differently; with an evolved mindset that brings more balance to the leadership and benefits the business world.